Most long-distance movers will move canned goods, but there may be restrictions on the types of food items they will transport. For example, some movers may not be able to transport perishable items or items that need to be refrigerated. It’s always best to check with your mover in advance to find out their policy on moving food items.
Is It a Good Idea to Move Canned Goods?
While most long-distance movers in Denver will accept canned goods, moving these items is not always the best idea. Canned goods are heavy and can add significant weight to your load, which could increase your moving costs.
Additionally, canned goods can break during the move and cause messes and damage to your belongings. If you decide to move canned goods, pack them carefully and securely to minimize the risk of breakage.
What Should You Do With Canned Goods Before Moving?
If you decide to move canned goods, there are a few things you can do to prepare them for the move.
- First, check the expiration dates on your canned goods and donate any that have expired.
- Next, wash the cans with soap and water to remove dirt or grime. This will help to prevent the cans from rusting during the move.
- Finally, pack the cans securely in moving boxes or bins to prevent them from breaking during transport.
Is it Worth Moving Canned Goods?
Ultimately, you decide whether to move canned goods is up to you. If you have a lot of canned goods that are unopened and in good condition, moving them may be worth it. However, if you only have a few cans or if they are old and expired, it may be best to donate them or leave them behind.
Donate Your Canned Goods Before Moving Out of State
If you decide not to move your canned goods, you can always donate them to a local food bank or pantry. Most food banks accept canned goods and are always in need of donations. Contact your local food bank to find out their donation policy and schedule a time to drop off your cans.
Where Can I Donate Canned Foods Near Me?
If you’re looking for a place to donate canned goods, many options are available. Here are a few sites that accept canned food donations:
- Covenant Cupboard Food Pantry
- Jewish Family Service
- Bienvenidos Food Bank
- Denver Rescue Mission
- Food Bank of the Rockies
- Resource Center – WellPower
- Metro Caring
- Denver Food Rescue
Tips on How to Pack Canned Goods for a Cross-Country Move
Packing canned goods for a cross-country move doesn’t have to be complicated. By following these tips, you can rest assured that your food will arrive safely at your new home.
- Start by packing the cans in small boxes (17X11X11 or 16X12X12). This will make them easier to carry and prevent them from getting damaged during the move.
- Make sure to label the moving boxes clearly, so you know which ones contain canned goods.
- When packing the cans, put the heaviest ones on the bottom of the box and the lightest ones on top.
- Fill empty spaces in the boxes with crumpled newspapers, so the cans don’t shift during transport.
- Finally, tape the boxes securely and stack them in a safe place until moving day.
By following these simple tips, you can rest assured that your canned goods will arrive safely at your new home.
Call Rocky Movers for a Free Moving Estimate Cross-Country
Are we looking for cross-country moving companies in Denver, CO, to help with your out-of-state move? Look no further than Rocky Movers. We are a full-service moving company based in Denver, Colorado. We specialize in long-distance moves and can provide a free moving estimate. Contact us today at (303) 317-6896 to learn more about our long-distance moving services or schedule a free in-home estimate.